Sunday, May 26, 2013

NEW Musically Challenged Challenge Blog- Jaded

I'm so excited for the first Musically Challenged Blog Challenge! I've been lucky enough to have been accepted for a spot on the design team for this awesome brand new challenge blog. Run by Kapree, this challenge blog is right up my alley! I LOVE creating with music as an inspiration, and Musically Challenged will be posting a new music video challenge every two weeks on Saturdays. 

To participate in the bi-weekly challenge, all you need to do is create a project that is inspired by the video, post it to your blog and tell what inspired you, then link it up by the deadline. This week is extra awesome if I do say so myself because Smeared Ink is offering up a $15 Gift Certificate for a lucky winner!! 

For the very first challenge, the featured video is Jaded by Aerosmith. 


For my project I was very inspired by the gritty, dank colors of the video (browns, blacks, and whites), and I decided to add red in there for good measure. I was also really infatuated with the creepy women "servants", so I included an ode to them on my altered cigar box.

*click pics for larger view



 I started by covering the whole box with different patterned papers and then added layers of paint, ink, and distressing. Then I inked in all of the lyrics from the video on the patterned paper. A lot of it was covered later, but you can still find parts of the song visible throughout the box. 

 After I was happy with the paint and ink job, I took the Melina single digi from Smeared Ink's Goth Fairies set and altered her a bit by removing her wings and adding black buttons down her front. I also added some black lines coming from her mouth. Then I made multiples, layered them and cut them out. Finally I colored my girls subtly with black and red, all while leaving their faces white like the video. 



Not an exact match, but you can see where I was going with it. After I added the Melina(s) to the box, I embellished with some paper roses, black glitter tape, and crystals. As a final touch the word JADED was added to the front of the box using mini cards. I'm happy with the way this turned out, although it's not exactly what I pictured in my head. 



What do you picture in your head when you see this video and listen to the lyrics? Why don't you come on over to the Musically Challenged Challenge and share a project in our first challenge! See you there :)

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this box. You did an outstanding job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terra that box is freaking awesome!!!! I have been back to look at it everal times and each time I still have that "wow" moment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creativity is soooo awesome. All the details and work on this is amazing. Love the addition of the lyrics on the paper.

    ReplyDelete